Friday 23 December 2011

Story Boards Process

I have had a lot of problems trying to generate ideas for storyboards.

Originally my ideas started off very complicated as you will be able to see. I wanted to have the idents all photography based that I would have edited in photoshop then using After effects and layering to give the impression that the viewer would be moving though the thousands of people in the crowd towards the stage then zoom in on the stage.

I started storyboarding countless times and again and agains it always got to this point. I also tried to start with just having a plain blue sky then the layers of grass move into view around the camera - the camera would then move forwards - giving the impression that the viewer was moving towards something. It was then that the people would then come into view - once agains it was here that I got stuck.

I have had may different ideas in my head but I seemed to have a mental block about generating a story board sequence that would last longer than 5 frames.

Even when I started to make my sequence and ideas much more simple - and using shapes and basic pieces of text - I still had issues with making the story boards longer than 5 seconds.
I feel that this was because I kept thinking of my experience of being at a festival; there are so many different areas, tents, line up, camping area, people, events, activites etc that I was trying to bring all of these into one place and portray the feeling of a festival; just like that electric picnic video which is on my Design Context board.

After testing out a few ideas on After Effects I felt that 10 seconds (orignally thinking it was a long time) actually isn't much time to get information onto a page / clip. It was then that I decided that even for the 60 second Ident that I would split my information in two - and also split the title sequence into two. The first half would be just portraying what you would find at a fesival e.g. show photos, words and just trying to get the the viewer in the festival mood; the second half of the ident would be dedicated to half of the top 10 festivals that I have chosen (the 5 that I think would be more popular / exiting than the others). In this half I wanted to share information, imagery, location and something that would try and stir something in the audiences mind that would interest them in buying a ticket for the festival in question.
The other half of the festiavls I just wanted to show through moving text in the first half of the sequence - make them part of the design / motion graphics and not share too much information about them so the focus will remain on the latter 5 festivals.

No comments:

Post a Comment