Thursday 4 November 2010

No News Is Good News - Message & Interpretation (Poster)

"36 UNDER 18'S ADMITTED TO A&E PER DAY DUE TO EXCESSIVE ACOHOL CONSUMPTION"


Using the research from the article in the Telegraph on the rise in the number of underage drinkers, I created a suitable factual headline to design 3 posters on which can clearly portray the message of the headline. One poster had to be just text, another was just an image, and the final poster was a combination of text and image. This poster was had to be from two colours only, not including white. The posters have to be created as a set or series, meaning the typography and colours used had to be consistent throughout the three. 


NOTES & IDEA DESIGNS












TYPE


For the type poster I used the HAETTENSCHWEILER typeface as I felt it was appropriate because it is bold and portrays the impact of the shocking headline well. From the research of the different ways to present type on a poster, I experimented with mixing up the size, colour and layout of the text. Initially I felt that arranging the text on different orientations would be effective. I experimented with different colour schemes, using a block bold colour on the background as I felt it would have a better effect than if I used colour text on a white background. Below are different colour variations. I initially felt that using red and black represented the theme of health/hospital best. 


DRAFT

Developing the element of mixing up the orientation of the words a little further, I arrange the text in a crossword like formation. I really liked this layout of text however after experimenting with different colours to improve the readability of the poster, I felt that it wasn't clear enough and created a more chaotic feel to the poster, when I was aiming to achieve a clear, direct feel to it and this was a little to chaotic. 









This piece I like although it starts to look more like a logo or a poster advertising something more lighthearted like a night out or a clothing brand rather than a tabloid headline

IMAGE


My idea for the image poster was to use highlight the areas of the body which are damaged through drinking, especially underage drinking as a child body is still growing. I highlighted the drink, the brain, the heart, the stomach, the liver and the reproductive organ as these are all damaged as a result of alcohol consumption.



I initially wanted to have the organs highlighted in red to portray danger and damage, however the poster looked bland on a white background so I used red. This meant that the organs did not stand out enough. 

This is the template I used for the final pieces. Changing the organs to white makes is definitely more effective. 


TYPE AND IMAGE


First draft of the final poster with the text however I felt there was something missing, so for the final poster I used black lines above and below the text. 


For the image final poster, I wanted to show how starting drinking from a young age can damage these organs, and due to that the effective functioning of one's organs becomes smaller and smaller.


FINAL POSTERS





No comments:

Post a Comment