Thursday 19 May 2011

Speaking From Experience - Hangover

This section is a part of the 'work vs play' section in that for a graphic design student to be able to have a social life as well as being on an intense course, they need to learn the tricks of the trade to be able to reduce and effectively master their hangover AND make sure that they will be able to wake up in a fit state for college the next day

I chose the brown for the stock for this as I felt it was the most appropriate colour for the 'grungy, dirty' feeling a hangover will give a person. 
I used the quote 'no regrets just lessons learnt' as this is a quote which both applies to a heavy night of drinking/partying and also to graphic design where making mistakes is essential to a persons learning.




Experiemting with different typefaces - this was the first of the books I designed. I found a picture of cocktails  and although I liked the layout of the second image down I do not think it was a strong enough image as it focuses just on the drinking side of the quote rather than the freedom to make mistakes and be adventerous. 





I the developed my idea from drinking to something which was both adventurous, daring, amusing and stupid - STRIEKING - as this implies freedom and something you would maybe learn from and only do the one time. 
I liked the combination of this typeface, the brown filter over the photograph, and also the image iteself. However I couldn't find a sasisfactory layout for it which would keep the type both large, and not cover the image. 




In the end I chose HELVETICA NEUE - which I would use through out the series of 4 images. I used a translucent blue highlight for the text, which was arranged so you can still see the naked figure in the background. I am very pleased with how it has come together. 



THE FRONT
I chose to highilight the area where I was going to put the titles of each page e.g. 'what do do before you go out' as it will make it clearer. 
Keeping the information basic and making some parts of the text larger/stand out e.g. dont mix drinks









FINISHED PRODUCT

This booklet is more about general hangover - it is not as specific to graphic design and the course. I have selected the relevent pieces of information which would help a graphic designer manage abover other students - which is more to do about what they can eat and drink/not drink which will enable them to keep up with the other students even on a hangover. 







No comments:

Post a Comment