Tuesday 24 January 2012

Storyboard Booklet

The storyboards are something that I have really found quite challenging throughout this project. For the silent movie brief I found them quite pleasant however for this brief I feel that I was trying to bring too many elemets of festivals together and hence I sat with a slight creative mind block.

I have research a variety of different types of videos; kinetic type, videos created form photoshop edited photographs, handwrendered images and type as image. After watching a series of festival promotion images I became very fixed on trying to create the atmosphere of a festival (similar to the Electric Press Festival Video) but this became a problem because I am more interested in typeography and I found storyboarding for just type in the Silent Movie brief, fairly manageble.

I found that I could have many ideas going around in my head but when I put them down on paper they never got further than 5 frames long, and this is where I would hit a mental blank and then go onto the next idea. So in the end I came out with a variety of different sections of a video - none of which could be linked together and none of which really were hugely relevant to dance / electronic music festivals.
To get through this problem I spoke to Lorraine and she suggested that I listen to my chosen track with my eyes closed and see what I could see at different parts of the track - a different method of idea generation. This actually worked, when I did this I came up with a series of coloured shapes and text moving over the composition. However when I came to drawing these idesas down on paper I felt that they didn't look particularly interesting (which they didn't). However when I put these onto after effects they looked much better. I feel that I had a mental block because all the ideas that I had going on in my head, when they were put down on paper they didn't come out nearly as well as I expected and because of this I got fustraited and started to move onto the next idea.


Open publication - Free publishing - More graphic design

Overall I feel that my story boards appear fairly basic - this is because in reality my sequences are just a collection of simple shapes and words arranged together in such a way and to the beat of the track - this is what makes the difference between on paper and on After effects. I felt that I didn't trust my ideas on paper but I  trusted them more when I had created them in after effects. This is something that for future projects I need to improve on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment