Wednesday 16 November 2011

GOOD IS // Testing out the Print Prototypes

I have first tested out these designs on standard 80 gsm uncoated paper to see what the designs would look like. 
The first image is an example of printing the net on thick card (200 gsm) because I want the packaging to be sturdy and look well put together (all the technology packaging is printed on very thick stock)






I think that the black net works well although I need to add the blue image (which is on the flaps of the lid) onto the sides of the base as from the exterior when the packaging is folded up you cant see the flaps. 

The 4 first examples / prototypes - testing out the different sizes of the logo on the front
I think that the larger logo looks much better than the smaller one and looks very good on the white background. 

On the 3rd packaging from the top I have placed the beats icon on the back but I think I am going to re-design this so that the name of the product is on the back (Air Gidge 1.0)

Looking from above - I have tried out different size logos and the point size of the blue circular lines all at different weights. I think the black and the blue gradients are too thick, but the white and black packaging's logo are too thin - I need to re-deisng this part and find a balance. 

I also don't think that on paper that the black gradient packaging doesn't work very well and doesn't really keep in with the rest of the colour scheme as it does look slightly brown. 

I really like the blue gradient on the front of the packaging. I think that is very different from all the other packaging of technology in the shops at the moment as they are mainly tones of white or black so this will stand out - exactly what I want. 


Having the inside printed with the brand name works quite well rather than having a blank interior. 

I feel that it was a good decision to use the black for the background rather than the white - it looks smarter and is a better contrast to the blue front. 


GIFT VOUCHERS

I think that they have come out quite well. They all look part of a set. Although in these images the colour strips have come out slightly darker in real life they are brighter. 














IMAGEAS OF THE OTHER PACKAGING PROTOTYPES

I have made some slight alterations to some of the packaging and printed them again. I think that the large logo is definitely better than the small. I need to rotate the brand name on the base of the packaging as it is upside down. 


I have placed the beats icon on the bottom of the packaging. One thing that does concern me about this packaging is the clash between the colours in the blue gradient and the bright blue of the sides. I need to re-design this so that this doesn't happen. 



From the feedback form the crit - people identified the white packaging as the most appealing because its simplicity. 






As a set I am happy with them and feel that they work quite well. I do need to go back and make some changes and make sure that the basic design and arrangement of all the elements and text on them is is all the same - just a variation of the colours. 


All the prototypes and initial designs together - it is easy to tell which of them work and which don't. I definitely feel that the white front flap works best in white with a large black brand name.




Initial Poster Designs:

Taking the basic design and colour scheme of some of the boxes I have designed these 3 posters promoting the the AIR GIDGE 1.0.
I am happy with them but looking at the printed out I feel that they do not fit very well with the rest of the brand.

STOCK EXPERIMENTS
Here I have printed the blue gradient packaging design onto black heavy stock. It hasn't come out very well, you cant see the colours at all. My idea after this (if this has worked) was to have all the design and text in plain white on black card - but it didn't work so I need to find another way of executing this idea.




Looking at blue stock - I had the idea of the packaging being the same as the colour scheme; 1 black, 1 white, 1 blue - but just like when I printed on black stock, the design hasn't really come out very well. Overall I really like the blue packaging - but when it is printed out - it doesn't work.




FOIL STAMP - Foiloing on from my stock experiments I wanted to see what a net would look like if I had no colour, just a foil stamp on all the printed pars of the designing.
This works much better than my idea of having just white ink on black stock. Although in the image it has come out as bronze, for this package I have used silver foil and I am very pleased with the results. 






Looking at examples of all the other elements to my brand printed out on black stock - I think that it works really really well and I am going to use this for the cover of my user guide and for one of my final packaging nets.







No comments:

Post a Comment